19-year-old boy kills friend during struggle for seat

A 19-year-old boy, Toluchukwu Anosike, has killed his friend, Nonso Monyasa, 15, during a struggle for a seat.

The incident happened on Sunday at the Abule Egba area of Lagos State.

It was learnt that Toluchukwu and Monyasa were both sales apprentices on Layi Padeola Street, and had been friends for two years when the suspect came to Lagos.

They were said to be fond of each other and usually ate and played together.

However, on the fateful day, the deceased was said to have asked for the seat of the suspect, and after playfully punching his lap, the latter took offence.

The disagreement degenerated to an argument. The Enugu State indigene reportedly punched the 15-year-old in the belly.

Less than an hour later, the victim, an indigene of Imo State, reportedly gave up the ghost.

Toluchukwu, who was immediately arrested, said he only punched his friend once, adding that it was not the first time they would be having such “playful fights.”

The suspect, while begging for forgiveness, said he never knew his friend would die.
He said, “I have always lived in the village. My father died when I was in primary five.

“When I finished my secondary school in the village in 2013, my brother, Anayo, brought me to Lagos so I could learn a trade.

“I met Nonso (Monyasa) here when I started work as a sales apprentice and we became good friends. But on Sunday, Ejike, who was Nonso’s boss, came to pick a seat in my shop and asked Nonso to take my seat for himself.”
He said the deceased came and punched his lap, asking him (Toluchukwu) to release his seat to him (Monyasa).

Toluchukwu said he resisted and when he checked his phone in his trousers pocket, it was switched off.
“I told him my phone had developed a fault because of the punch he gave me, but he walked away.

“I went back to my seat and told him the next time he did that, I would beat him up. He said I could not beat him.

“He came and hit me with blows, and I gave him a punch in the stomach. He held his belly and went inside their shop,” he added.
The victim’s boss, Ejike, took him home when his condition worsened.

It was learnt that about 30 minutes later, the victim was driven back to the shop, where the suspect was also picked up en route to the hospital.

Monyasa was confirmed dead at the hospital.

The police were subsequently alerted and the teenager was arrested.
“We were playing that day. I did not have any intention of killing him,” Toluchukwu said.
The victim’s cousin, Ifeanyi Nwokemodo, told Punch Metro that the doctor said Monyasa died from internal bleeding.

He said his family had been informed in the village and they were not willing to pursue a case against Toluchukwu.
He said, “When we rushed him to the hospital, the doctor said he suffered internal bleeding, which killed him.

“The boy’s family have been informed in the village and they told me to withdraw the case because they are not interested in pursuing court matters.”
The Police Public Relations Officer, Kenneth Nwosu, said the police was aware of the incident. He added that the case had been transferred to the the Criminal Investigation Department.

Credit: Samson Folarin/Punch Metro