19 Jan 2015

"Second Niger Bridge will be completed in 40 months" - President Jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan has assured Nigerians that the second Niger Bridge will be completed within the next forty months.

The bridge is seen as crucial to easing the load on the Niger bridge, considering the increase in vehicular movement to the eastern part of the nation.

There have been criticisms over the slow pace of work on the bridge, with some persons saying that nothing was happening at the site.

At a meeting with the traditional ruler of the commercial city of Onitsha, Obi Alfred Achebe, President Jonathan expressed satisfaction at the pace and quality of work done so far at the site of the construction, as he first went on inspection tour before visiting the Obi of Onitsha.

President Jonathan was in Anambra State on Saturday for the presidential campaign rally.

The Anambra State governor, Willie Obiano, alongside the Vice President, Namadi Sambo, the traditional ruler of Onitsha, Obi Alfred Achebe and other dignitaries were at the meeting that was held at the palace of the King.

After exchanging pleasantries with his hosts, the President narrated the event of his visit to the site of the second Niger Bridge construction and cleared rumours that nothing was going on at the site.

He said that what he saw on ground had boosted his morale, expressing confidence that the bridge would be completed within the next 40 months.

In his explanation, he said out of the 130 billion Naira contract sum, 10 billion Naira had already been spent out of which 1.5 billion Naira was used to pay compensation for damages.

According to him, work on the 10 kilometre road leading to the bridge head had reached 80 per cent completion.

Credit: Channels

1 comment:

Be sociable, share your opinion!
Post a Comment :)

Infolinks