22 Aug 2014

Nigeria records 2 new Ebola cases as spouses of late victims test positive

The Minister of Health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu, has confirmed two new cases of the Ebola Virus Disease. Professor Chukwu says the two victims are spouses of dead victims of the disease.

They are currently being treated in Lagos.

This brings the total number of cases, including the index case to 14, with five deaths and five survivors, while four are currently being treated.

At a media briefing in Abuja on Friday, Professor Chukwu said the 67 persons under surveillance had completed the 21 days incubation period for Ebola, and had been discharged. “Presently, there are 213 people under surveillance,” he said.

The Health Minister further refuted reports credited to the Lagos State Commissioner, Mr Jide Idris, that there are additional five cases of Ebola.

Professor Chukwu added that it was his duty as the head of Nigeria’s Health Ministry to announce new cases and also give updates on the virus.

According to the Minister, the six people under surveillance in Enugu State had not developed symptoms of Ebola, but are still being monitored.

“The Federal Government, working with the Lagos State government and other partners, will continue to maintain vigilance, continue to strengthen our containment activities and wishes to reassure the Nigerian public and the global community that efforts will not relent until the very last case of Ebola Virus Disease is seen in Nigeria,” he stressed.

Professor Chukwu, however, cautioned that the government could not give an assurance of complete eradication at the moment.

He asked Nigerians to be calm and not panic, as the efforts of the government to battle the disease had been applauded by the international community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be sociable, share your opinion!
Post a Comment :)

Infolinks