14 Aug 2014

Dangote donates $150 million to halt spread of Ebola in Nigeria

The Dangote Foundation has donated $150 million to halt the spread of Ebola in Nigeria, the government has said.

The Dangote Group, owned by 57-year-old Africa's richest man Aliko Dangote, gave out the money as Nigeria confirmed 11 cases of the lethal haemorrhagic fever Thursday. Three people have died of the disease in Nigeria, which has killed 1,066 people in neighbouring countries.

When interviewed on the sidelines of the US-Africa Business Forum in Washington last week, Dangote called the lethal disease "worrisome" and estimated the outbreak may reduce gross domestic product in affected parts of western Africa by as much as one per cent.
The Chief Executive Officer of Dangote foundation, Dr Adhiambo Odaga at a press briefing today in Abuja, said the choice of Ebola Virus Disease emergency operation center in Lagos as an investment for Dangote Foundation is based on the fact that it is the critical platform through which government is coordinating all that is happening to ensure that the crisis is contained.

“It is also a platform that provides transparency so whatever it is that government is doing, whatever is happening at every corner in Nigeria, is available for the international media, and also for researchers because this is a globally linked effort,” she said.

“The strategy that our chairman is deploying is a strategy to respond and to commend the government for their effort and to show that all Nigerians are concerned. We are continuing to talk to the ministry about what additional support can be offered,” She added.

2 comments:

  1. Isaac Afolabi Olulade14 August 2014 at 18:55

    Now you are talking, take your wealth to help the poor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still waiting for your other friends, please talk to them to show helping hand to the poor

    ReplyDelete

Be sociable, share your opinion!
Post a Comment :)

Infolinks