20-year-old man arraigned for attempting to use his mother for ritual

A 20-year old man, Gbenga Adeniyi, who allegedly attempted to kill his biological mother for money making ritual, has been remanded in prison by anAkure Magistrate Court.

The magistrate ordered that Mr. Adeniyi should be kept in Olokuta Prison custody pending the time police will come up with a medical report.

The incident according to Police Prosecutor, Isah Atanegbe, took place on May 9 at about 3 a.m. at Abiribiri Street, Isolo, Akure.

Atanegbe said the accused hit the mother, Doja Saka, with a big stone on the forehead after which she lost consciousness; and then used a scissors to inflict injuries on her eyes.

The prosecutor said the offence contravened Sections 320 and 335 of the Criminal Code Cap 37 Vol. 1 Laws of Ondo State of Nigeria, 2006.

In the First Information Report, FIR, on the case, Mr. Atanegbe said “the accused woke her mother from sleep. When she woke up, he used a big stone to hit her on the forehead. She lost consciousness and blood started rushing out of her forehead and he used scissors to inflict injury on her eyes on the eyes of the victim who is now receiving treatment at State Specialist Hospital, Akure.

“The stone he used in beating the victim attracted one Sikiru Fatai who rescued the woman from the accused person and alerted the police”.

Mr. Adeniyi, the last child of the victim’s first husband, was said to have shaved and burnt his mother’s hair that same night for diabolical means.

When Mrs. Saka, popularly called ‘Iya Oba’ appeared in court prior to the trial, she looked frail with a deep hole in her left eye with various incisions on her face and blood gushing out.

She was, however, rushed to the State specialist Hospital Akure for medical attention.

When the charge was read to the accused, he pleaded guilty to the first count charge of using scissors and stone to inflict severe injuries on the eyes and head of her mother.

He, however, pleaded not guilty to the second count charge of causing grievous harm on her.

In his ruling, the Chief Magistrate, Akin Akintoye, reserved ruling on count one pending the issuance of a medical report and adjourned the hearing on count two to May 14.

He ordered the accused to be remanded in prison.