Hajj 2012 Latest: Fire outbreak in hotel housing Nigerian pilgrims

There was a fire outbreak in the hotel housing about 200 Gombe pilgrims in Makkah on Wednesday.

It was gathered that the fire broke out on the 9th floor of the 12-storey hotel building, which is located a few metres away from the holy mosque.

It was further gathered that the fire was extinguished shortly after it started. All the occupants of the hotel escaped unhurt.

Confirming the incident, the Gombe State Amirul Hajj, Grand Khadi Baba Liman, said the fire was caused by the misuse of a gas cooker by a female pilgrim in the hotel, adding that a committee has been set up to investigate the matter.

“All the pilgrims are hale and hearty. Nobody was hurt,’’ he added.