Suicide bomb attack on a church in Bauchi claims 4 lives; 46 injured

A suicide bomber on Sunday attacked the St. John’s Catholic Church in the Wunti area of Bauchi, Bauchi State.

Police confirmed that four persons, including a four-year-old boy and the bomber, died in the attack that took place immediately after the morning mass at 8.55am.

Forty six other persons, according to the Public Relations Officer, Bauch State Police Command, Hassan Auyo, sustained varying degrees of injuries.

The suicide bomber in Bauch in Sunday, according to witnesses, rammed his Opel Vectra car onto the church gate when he could not gain entrance into the premises as a result of a barricade.

Since the Christmas Day bombing in Madalla and others in the North, worship houses have been encouraged by security agencies to take precautionary measures to secure their buildings and worshippers.

Chairman of Christian Association of Nigeria, Bauchi State chapter, Rev. Lawi Pokti, said more than 40 worshipers were injured, some critically.

Pokti, “The incident occurred around 8.55am. when the first set of worshippers were coming out of the church and the second session was about to start.

“The suicide bomber came in an Opel car but could not get through to the church premises so he hit the barricade at the gate and detonated his explosive device.

“He and three worshipers died while over 40 others were injured. Some of those injured are battling between life and death.”

A worshipper, Mr Osondu Chukwu, told the News Agency of Nigeria that but for the barricade, the casualties would have been more.

“The sound was massive. You could imagine what would have happened if he had succeeded in getting to the hall where service was taking place,” he said.

Secretary of the Nigeria Red Cross in Bauchi State,

Mr Adamu Abubakar, also confirmed that three persons died along with the bomber.

“Three persons died and 48 others were injured. Those injured are now being treated at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Teaching Hospital, Bauchi,” he said.

Pokti, who described the attack as unfortunate, called on President Goodluck Jonathan to be courageous enough to address the lingering insecurity in the country.